Monday, February 18, 2013

WHY?

At work we have been talking about our "WHY" lately.  Why do we do the job we do, what is our motivation.  We were inspired to talk about this by a TED Talks hosted by Simon Sinek and The Golden Circle (see image below).

I feel like I need to tell you about my WHY, my motivation.  The main source of my motivation is O, a 2 year-old spitfire who brings joy and happiness to our family that we never thought possible.  In my journey to give him the best start to life I can, I've learned more about our environment, food, and lifestyle choices than one person should.  However, my husband, Matt, and I are completely responsible for this little life so I continue to learn and cannot erase what I've learned.  I've learned how unhealthy we, Matt and I, were even though we thought we were healthy and I vowed to change that.  Luckily, Matt is 100% supportive and has enjoyed this journey (I think).  I've also learned that if Matt and I don't have a healthy lifestyle, O may not have us around as long as he would like - thus more motivation for us to eat well, live simply, and exercise.

Throughout this adventure, Matt and I have reaped the benefits of a healthier lifestyle and mourned the loss of our favorite foods.  Many times in the grocery store I hear, "Cyndi, do not look at the label.  Please, I love my chips." Or, "I feel like we can't eat anything anymore."  While there were times in the beginning it did feel like we were losing everything, however, we have found ways to add healthier versions of our favorites back in our diet.

I realize, and have heard many times, that there will be a day when O makes decisions that go against decisions I am making for him now.  There will be a day when he eats a hot dog, pizza, or some other processed food - this I know.  However, I can control what he gets now and my hope is that I'm creating a healthy eater who prefers unprocessed food to processed food.  If that is not the case, I've given him the best start I can and will honor the choices he makes.  He will still be offered healthy, unprocessed food at home and we will talk about why we make the decisions we make.

I also want O to know where food comes from.  I want him to understand that it is a process to cultivate the food we eat and not take for granted the farmers and ranchers who grow our food.  I want him to know that vegetables and fruit come from the earth, eggs come from chickens, beef from cows, bacon from pigs, etc.  I want him to appreciate the entire process, not just the meal put in front of him three times a day.

Finally, I know that if I do this for O now, he will more than likely pass this on to his children who will pass it on to their children and so on.  I'm changing my family tree - what an amazing gift to provide.  What better motivation than that?

If you have some free time (18.30 minutes), watch this TED Talks Video with Robyn O'Brien, a local (Austin) food crusader!  If you have kids, please try to watch, it was very powerful for me.  I wish I could meet her so if you know her, set up a play date!

Finally, if you can find another 18.30 minutes, watch this TED Talks Video with Jamie Oliver.  Towards the end, watch how much sugar a child ingests in elementary school with milk alone.  Yes, added sugar in cow's milk.  WOW!

There is my WHY, what is yours?

7 comments:

  1. I really like this blog and am on this path for the last one year..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and commenting. This journey is fun, yet frustrating. I'm glad we are on it together! Keep up the great work.

      Delete
  2. Love your blog! We have been grain-free, refined sugar free, honey free, etc for the last year due to our baby boy's food allergies. The sugar is the biggest challenge for sure. Keep bloggin' baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you O'Connor Family, I'm glad love the blog. I'm sorry to hear about your son's allergies and applaud you for making HUGE changes for him. That is amazing and I am so proud of you all for doing that. In the future I plan to share recipes that have worked for us, I hope they work for you or that you can adapt them for your family's needs.

      Wow, just wow. Way to go O'Connor Family!

      Delete