Monday, June 16, 2014

Sugar and Spice....


In one of my first posts I wrote about the extra ingredients you can find in your spice cabinet.  It truly is amazing how many of our foods have hidden preservatives and sugars.  My husband and I read ingredient labels very carefully, including those on our spices. It is difficult to find spices that do not contain additional ingredients and do not cost an arm and a leg.  Therefore, we have started grinding our own spices.  

Depending on the spice, we use either our Vitamix or a coffee grinder for spices.
We grind our own cinnamon and it is DELICIOUS!  It really tastes better than the cinnamon found in the store.  


                  

We also grind cumin, coriander, cloves, and black peppercorns in our spice grinder.  

Finally, we make our own homemade chili powder from chili pods found in the Mexican section of the grocery store.  To make a milder chili powder, remove the seeds.  For medium spice, leave a few seeds, and for hot, leave all off the seeds in the pod.  

My family and friends benefit from our clean eating lifestyle as well; ground cinnamon in a cute jar makes a thoughtful and delicious gift.        

Grinding your own spices is easy and cuts down on the cost of buying organic spices from the store.  

When we have more kitchen space, I look forward to having a beautiful spice box on my counter for my spices.  For the time being, I store them in repurposed jars and other containers.  
   
This is one simple change you can make in a short amount of time.  
Get grinding!


No comments:

Post a Comment